CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT
Job posting number: #7068656 (Ref:hlj_26824)
Posted: August 7, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Moffitt Cancer Center's Sarcoma Oncology Program specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of over 70 different types of Sarcoma. Sarcoma is a very rare tumor, only about 1 % of all cancers.
Our Sarcoma Oncology Program is based on a collaboration of a number of experienced specialists, including medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists, orthopedic surgeons and general surgeons. This diverse team provides a comprehensive range of services. Our Sarcoma Oncology Clinic cares for 60 patients a day, where patients can access:
- Diagnostic and staging tests, including pathology and imaging services with results interpreted by radiologists who specialize in sarcoma readings
- Chemotherapy, including oral and intravenous options and innovative drug combinations including numerous clinical trials.
- Radiation therapy
- Supportive care, including nutrition consultations, pain management, physical therapy and social services.
Our Sarcoma Oncology Clinic is currently looking for a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) to join our team.
· Certified Medical Assistants are essential members of the clinic team. They contribute to the healthcare of patients by assisting with exams and procedures, organizing and managing patient flow, performing administrative functions and taking on other responsibilities based on the needs of the department.
The Ideal Candidate
· The ideal candidate will have experience in the following:
o Assisting with joint injections
o Assisting with putting orthopedic boots
o Assistance removing sutures.
o Background in orthopedics preferred
· Assists patients with ambulation and/or movement on/off exam table, chairs and/or in and out of wheelchairs utilizing proper body mechanics and safety measures such as, lift equipment.
· After proper patient identification, performs initial patient screening, including vital signs, screening questions, allergy information, and medication history as appropriate. Notifies appropriate staff of positive screening or abnormal vital signs. Documents collected data completely and accurately in medical record including staff notifications. Loads images in preparation for provider visit, as needed. Ensures clinic patient flow is smooth and efficient. Keeps patients and clinical team informed of delays. Communicates effectively to patients, providers, nurses, and other team members.
· Assists practitioner in patient procedures/treatments/examinations, including room preparation, patient positioning, supplies, and equipment. Departs from clinic those patients that do not require nursing intervention. Maintains and uses principles of aseptic techniques and universal precautions when performing clinical duties and tasks.
· Maintains the knowledge and skill necessary to provide care or services based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria appropriate to the age of the patients served in the assigned service area. Utilizes computerized systems according to departmental needs.
· Provides support to the provider during clinic by assisting with phone calls and faxes.
· Recognizes emergency situations and implements emergency procedures. Administers first aid and CPR.
Credentials and Qualifications:
· High School Diploma
· Certification or Registration from one of the following organizations:
o American Association of Medical Assistants (AMAA)
o American Medical Technologists (AMT)
o National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
o National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
o National Association for Health Professionals (NAHP)
· BLS Certification
· Experience performing lab draws and EKG testing.
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.